Welcome to my adventures in blogging. I thought it will give me something to do while I'm healing, plus it will be fun to see the progress being made.
I am set to have jaw surgery on Thursday, March 6, 2008. I'll try to post some before pictures soon!
Just a quick little bit about what my surgery is going to consist of. This is taken straight from the Mayo Clinic website:
Mandibular Osteotomy (Lower Jaw) or a lower bilateral saggital split osteotomy (BSSO).
This procedure is typically used for patients with a receded lower jaw or an open bite.
When operating on the lower jawbone, the cuts are made behind the molars and lengthwise down the jawbone so the front of the jaw (teeth and all) can move as one unit. Once completed, the jaw slides smoothly to its new position, and screws hold the jawbone together until it heals.
A severely receded lower jaw is often accompanied by a deficient chin, which can be remedied with cosmetic surgery. Typically, surgeons can alter the jaws and restructure the chin, if needed, during the same surgery.
A link to a simple video of what will happen: http://www.mayoclinic.org/jaw-surgery/video.html
First post
Posted by Shanda

0 Responses to "First post"
Post a Comment