Finally - pictures and a few updates!
My last meal wasn't anything special, Jimmy Johns. Thick sandwich, and crunchy chips though. Dessert was from my friends' coffee shop, Capanna. Peanut Butter and Chocolate Gelato. It was amazing!






Yes, giant syringe for my mouth, not yours nurse! Thank you very much! Slurp slurp.


My last meal wasn't anything special, Jimmy Johns. Thick sandwich, and crunchy chips though. Dessert was from my friends' coffee shop, Capanna. Peanut Butter and Chocolate Gelato. It was amazing!
After my last post, we drove to the hospital and checked in. I found out at 10:30 that they were almost ready for me in the operating room! Needless to say, it all happened so quickly I didn't have tons of time to get nervous. I was in the O.R. by 11:30. Here I am, last picture of my retrognathic smile! So long bucky! I realize I look relaxed/drugged. I'm just trying to focus on the camera because I don't have my glasses on and I'm blind.
According to the Drs. the surgery went text book. It typically takes somewhere around 3 hours, and it was only 1.5 for me. Apparently my anatomy (mainly the Inferior Alveolar Nerve) was exactly where it was suppose to be. They kept complimenting Dr. Rovner (my orthodontist) for his placement of my teeth. They also commented on how clean my mouth was. Glad to know the hygienist can also keep HER teeth clean!
When I woke up I was afraid that I was going to be sick, because that can happen. I remember immediately praying when I woke up that I wouldn't throw up. Throwing up, is never fun... when you've got tubes coming out of your mouth and you are tied shut... I imagine it's just that much more fun. I had to wear a humidifier around my face as well, it was freezing. I don't remember much from recovery other than having to go the bathroom really bad and freezing my tush off. I remember a nurse telling me to stay on top of the pain. So I kept asking for more pain meds. So all in all, I was pretty comfortable. I remember telling them I, or trying to tell them that I was slobbering and couldn't swallow. I'm sure I was a mess. I finally got out of recovery and to my hospital room. About an hour later I finally mustered out the words, "family?" THEN they brought them up. I would have asked earlier but you know.. my mouth was sortof in a messy state. I had drainage tubes in my cheeks after surgery which got in the way, but it was nice not to have that going down my throat. The icepacks that I tied to my head were cold, but helped the muslces not ache so much. You'd think the break would hurt, but it's more the muscles being pulled and the spasms that bother more.
Soon after surgery I could actually feel the left side of my lower lip and both sides of my jaw. Dr. Burton commented how that is good and bad. Good that I can feel it and the nerve is intact, bad because... I can feel it! The swelling was minimal immediately after surgery, other than my lower lip. Wow, Angelina Jolie had nothing on me! Hard to believe people pay big bucks for lips like that. Thankfully that's gone down... kindof. Ugh.
Now, I've failed to discuss that my "roommate" in the hospital was a prisoner. She was chained and had a guard with her always. She was very picky and being in the hospital was a vacation for her. From the time I came out of recovery to the morning after, she ate 4 different meals. Complaining each time that something wasn't as she ordered, I wanted to smack her. Ugh! How frustrating. I'd gladly take her pudding that did not have whipped cream on it! Oh wait, I couldn't! Guess I'll take the morphine instead. Which she could not have because she was a drug abuser. So all in all, I got the better deal. Maybe I was a little extra fiesty, but her guard kept snoring during the night. Annoying yes, but something I could endure. That was until I found out he wasn't suppose to be sleeping!!!! So every time I heard him snore, I turned on my room light and the tv. Ha! I kept him up! Did I feel bad? Not really, the morphine helped those feelings go away.
I do have a few infection control concerns with the hospital. The nurses had a tendency to never wear gloves! My nurse was demonstrating how to use the syringe and juice and actually put it in her mouth! I could go on and on and on about this, but won't. Anyone who knows me well enough, knows my germaphobic tendencies. Nuff said.
My first post-surgery "meal" consisted of Chicken broth and Apple Juice. I had a pretty sore throat from the breathing tube, so I thought Apple Juice would be good. Makes Jimmy Johns seem pretty special.
On Friday a Resident came in early to take out my drainage tubes. Yup, it was about as fun as I thought it would be. He was quick, but I can only imagine my heart rate doubled. Ouch! Later on in the morning I was taken over to the Clinic to see my surgeon. We took three different radiographs (I want to see if I can get a copy of those). He cleaned up my face and took of my really strong elastics and brushed my teeth. He asked me to open. I was pretty scared to do so, but was surprised to be able to do so without any pain. I could open just enough for him to get the tooth brush in to reach the insides of my teeth. (I can't explain how excited I am to be able to brush all surfaces of my teeth!)
About 10 mins before I left a special delivery from Dr. Johnson and the girls from the OHC came. It was a beautiful. A definite hit on the entire floor. Thanks guys!
Oh yes, and I can now bite on my back teeth! I can't even tell you how many years it has been since I could bite on both sides with my back teeth! Even early into recovery I can say it was worth it!

1 comments:
Oh my god!! I just realized that you have the same orthodontist and oral surgeon as I do. I am getting my surgery on October 7th with Dr. Burton!
Post a Comment