Wednesday 03-12-08

Wednesday started with a trip to the orthodontist. I was a little worried that they would poke around. Not at all. I sat there for about 5 mins while Dr. Rovner took a quick look at my new bite. Then stood up for a few pictures, that I'm sure I'll love in the months to come.

My lower lip is still very swollen and hurts. I feel like Bubba from Forrest Gump. But my surgeons just laughed and told me that was silly. Either way, it's how I feel.

After the trip to Dr. Rovner's we headed to Iowa City. Driving is still kindof bumpy and uncomfortable for me. But I went to sleep and it helped.

Got to Iowa City early so we stopped at CoralRidge Mall for a walk around. No exciting finds. Some soap from Bath and Body Works. The sales lady said she knew how I felt because she had a root canal treatment done last week. I resisted the urge to smack her upside the head, because she in no way can know how I feel. But whatever. To try to describe the difference. She was most likely numb in only one quadrant of her mouth, and that numbness went away after a few hours. I on the other hand have been numb for a week and counting. Plus, I can't open my mouth more than one finger width. Which happens to be enough to get a kids tooth brush in to clean stuff up! For which I am very thankful!

Back to the appointment! Dr. Schroeder said I looked good. (which is always nice to hear, when you feel like a bobble head doll) He was very gentle which was nice, because my lips are so sore. I was under the impression that my stitches on the inside of my mouth were going to need to be removed, and I was not looking forward to that. I was incorrect in my assumptions, which was a relief! I had my external stitches removed. Surprisingly they did not hurt much at all. Dr. Schroeder had an extremely difficult time removing the ones on the left. He had to go get a 15 blade. (see picture to the right) He stressed the importance of not moving, which I obviously knew. I trust(ed) him so I had no worries. It didn't even hurt. I hope for future patients that they tell whoever placed that suture how to do so correctly. Because Dr. Schroeder pointed out he did not place that one. :-D I asked why I needed stitches on the outside. He explained that the instrument/splint/device they use to place the jaw in the correct position and thus the titanium screws to hold the jaw into place actually goes through the cheek. Barbaric as it may seem, it is extremely accurate. As long as the scars are too visible, I don't mind at all. Not going to lie, I'm glad he explained that after the surgery otherwise it would have been one more thing to rethink.

Dr. Burton came in and was equally pleased with the way things looked. It's hard not to be happy when the surgeons are happy. He stressed the importance of taking it easy. I joked to him about working. He said he'd recommend half days next week. Too late for that I'm booked fairly solid all next week because its spring break. I'll be fine. I'm sure I'll be pooped at the end of the day but that's ok. He said that I can start to sleep with my head all the way back if I feel up to it. It's weird, but laying down stretches the muscles. He also suggested placing warm moist heat on my face to help with blood flow and ultimately swelling. I tried that last night, its weird because on my chin I can't even feel the heat! Such an odd sensation. We had to discuss the lovely side effects of taking narcotics and what it can do to your digestive tract but he hooked me up like the good doctor that he is... I'll leave it at that.

Now for the really good news! He took off my rubber bands! He said usually it is up to the orthodontist. Well in the morning Dr. Rovner said it was up to them. Ugh! I later consulted Dr. Rovner and he said to wear them a little bit longer. Bummer! But I can take them off to eat which means.... drum roll.... not all liquids. I can have thicker soup, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, applesauce... this is something to get excited about people! I only have 8 elastics left, so I think when I wear through those, I'll ask Dr. Rovner if I can stop. I think they help guide the bite and the muscles where to go. I don't want to over do it and not exercise the muscles, at the same time I don't want to confuse them and have them not know where to go! Not the time to mess it up!

0 Responses to "Wednesday 03-12-08"