Had my 3 week follow up with my surgeons in Iowa City today. I wasn't really looking forward to it. #1, I had to take the afternoon off of work. #2, I knew they were going to feel around and I'm still a little sore.
Dr. Schroeder was the first to see me. He told me that h
e thought I didn't look swollen and it was in my head. Fair enough, he's the Dr. However after he pushed around on my jaw, I probably will be swollen! He thought things looked really good. He checked my bite and said it is doing exactly what it is suppose to be doing. Which means... no more elastics! Farewell my friends, I will not miss you! One less thing to have snagging my cheeks and gums right now. He said I was right on track and I could probably start chewing soft foods next week. Hard to believe next week it will have been 1 month! Insane!
Since it is Springtime and I have allergy problems as it is, I asked if there were any tips on sneezing. He just said not to hold it in. (I've never been able to do that anyway).
Dr. Burton came in and was also pleased with the way things look. He told me I'm good to go back to work full time. (Shh... we won't tell him, I'm a week ahead of that already!) He explained that I can start to move my jaw from side to side and all around. Granted, the six titanium screws are still holding me together, the soft tissue integration has also begun. So I'm still to take it easy. I'm still a little weary at the whole mobilization thing, simply because it hurts. But he explained its the best way to exercise the muscles and thus reduce swelling. Less swelling = more feeling, I'm up for that!
They stressed to me that chewing can start next week but it must be soft fo
ods. So basically everything I've been trying lately, but had to swallow whole, I will be able to chew. Chewing will also allow me to taste! This week I decided to try Taco Bell's Rice Bowls. I've needed some flavor. I'm so sick of bland stuff. I like spicy foods, so I was pretty sure my stomach could handle it. However, I know I've passed by these in the grocery aisle and thought, "yuck!" But, right now I'm so hungry it doesn't matter! And with a little sour cream, although it looks disgusting, it was quite tasty and filled me up. We'll see if I regret it later. So far, so good.
I have another check up scheduled for another 3 weeks. They said if everything is going so smoothly they will cut me loose for a few months. If so, that puts me right where I wanted to be; free to eat what I want for my birthday!!! Now, to find the perfect place to celebrate. I'm thinking TGIFriday's. What do you think? Seriously, people, leave me comments!
Meanwhile, what am I going to indulge on next week?! I've been craving a few things. Donuts in particular, those are soft, right?! Oh yes, and trip to Cheesecake Factory for Pasta DaVinci and cheesecake is in the near future for sure! Yikes, I want to gain a little weight back but not more than I lost!!!
The next big hurdle will be going to the Orthodontist. I'm looking forward to getting these ugly, painful surgical archwires out of here. BUT... it's going to be stressful having them apply so much pressure to my jaw. I have time to worry about that later, that appointment is next week. I'm looking forward to speaking more clearly, sans barbed wire in my mouth, poking me every time my lips move.

0 Responses to "Wednesday 03-26-08"
Post a Comment